Monday, 25 April 2011

Appreciating Gifts Unexpected

Ashdown Forest

Kew Gardens


With the sunny weather and days off from work I have been able to take the opportunity to go out and be in 'The Nature' as the Swede's say. On Thursday I decided to go for a mini adventure and explore somewhere near that I didn't know. Ashdown Forest. Hoping for bluebells ~ tantalizing just out of touch at the beginning of the trail was a cut off woodland with sea of violet blue. I went on expecting trees green and hoping for blue bells at Ashdown Forest. Instead, I got heathland with panoramic views and honey smelling golden gorse with orange tipped white butterflies and the distant call of cuckoos.

I also met a young man at pooh bridge who had neatly dismantled a computer game each part laid out neatly across the bridge. He proceeded to ask me why I was wearing a dress and trousers. I didn't know how to respond other than I frequently did so. "Weird" was his response and proceeded to show me how his swing across the river worked with the unfortunate side effect of being like a "cheese cutter". An interesting 'modern day' guardian me thought. After getting lost after the bridge I ended my walk with 4 whopping blisters from my trusted Birkenstocks who have never failed me before.

I was curious to experience early on in my walk, not just the once but twice, people more local to the area lost asking me directions. Which I was able to do from my scanty guide book. Later on when I got lost I had mis-interpreted the guide book ~ which was written word not visual map. I had not gone with my instincts which were right.

Two days later somewhat hobbling, I went to Kew Gardens in search of bluebells up close. And bluebells I found in such abundance. So I feel even the blisters are gifts encouraging me to keep reaching outside of my comfort zone, to experience and explore more.

So, what do I do with my old shoes no longer fit for purpose? Can't recycle them yet as I am not ready to walk bare foot in the city. Next time shall I risk not taking a map? My blisters transient, my memories clear and lasting.

***

No comments: