Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Loving the Two Halves



Usually, without growth being forced on us, few of us go willingly on
the spiritual journey. Why would we? The rug has to be pulled out from
beneath our game, so we redefine what balance really is. We eventually
get a feel for true balance when we fall and rise a number of times.

More than anything else, this falling/rising cycle is what moves us into
the second half of our own lives. All falling, no growth! Always on top,
no growth! There is a "necessary suffering" to human life, and if we
avoid its cycles we remain immature forever. It can take the form of
failed relationships, facing our own shadow self, conflicts and
contradictions, disappointments, moral lapses, depression in any number
of forms. All of these have the potential to edge us forward in life, or
dig in our heels even deeper, producing narcissistic and adolescent
responses that everybody can see except ourselves. We either "fall
upward," or we just keep falling.
(Fr. Richard - Loving the two halves of life)


***


I looked up at the tallest building
Felt it falling down
I could feel my balance shifting
Everything was moving around
These streets so fixed and solid
A shimmering haze
And everything that I relied on disappeared

Downside up, upside down
Take my weight from the ground
Falling deep in the sky
Slipping into the unknown
All the strangers look like family
All the family looks so strange
The only constant I am sure of
Is this accelerating rate of change

Downside up, upside down
Take my weight off the ground
Falling deep in the sky
Slipping into the unknown

I stand here
Watch you spinning
Until I am drawn in
A centripetal force
You pull me in

Pull me in
Pull me in
Pull me in
Pull me in
Pull me in

ovo ovo ovo
ovo ovo ovo
ovo ovo ovo

ovo ovo ovo
ovo ovo ovo
ovo ovo ovo

Downside up
Upside down
Take my weight off the ground
Falling deep in the sky
Slipping into the unknown
***

5 comments:

laurelsreflections said...

I appreciate the quote more every time I read it, and love the song, so thank you for the link, and for sharing the powerful and moving sketches.

Amber said...

Love your drawings Foxy!

Silver Fox said...

Laurel. I was wondering whether to put in a thank you in the post for this wonderful quote. So I am extreeemly happy that you've posted here. Thank you so much for this quote. And your appreciation for my sketches. :o)

Silver Fox said...

Thankyou Amber....you know I drew them by playing a little trick. Which I've done before by saying I wasn't creating 'a piece of art'. Lets my ego go for a rest! And then the rest of me can run, leap, swim and fly!

Amber said...

It's funny how that works! I think as children we are so free, and then at school we're told to do it this way or that and suddenly there's this scary 'Art' word in the way.
I do monoprinting to bypass the need to do something perfect or 'good', it's fun and I play with images that way.